Endurance races, ski trips, musings, and adventures on the East Coast.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

And the season starts.....now!

I suppose I'm lucky that exercise is one of the best ways for me to relieve stress. I've got a pretty stressful job, and so training is often what I most want to do at the end of the day. Maybe that's why working and racing work for me; they seem to compliment each other nicely.
I've been on the skiing train recently, for sure. And the snow's been good. Last week there were some pretty wild powdery runs to be had. I went solo mid-week, but these VT skiers brought the camera along. Check it out, pretty rad.
Right now though, there isn't much base in the mountains, which makes skiing at night a little bit sketchy, even with a bright headlamp. And it was dark when I got home, and I've been telling myself that mid-December is go time for training for a while now. So out came the trainer. I dusted off some old freeride movies, hooked up the headphones, cranked the volume, and pedaled. And you know, it was pretty fun to mull the recently released NUE 100 miler series schedule and stage race logistics over while listening to loud music and feeling my legs spin circles for the first time in months. My roomates were cooking for a potluck, it was snowing outside, and there I was with my head stuck in July, envisioning the deathmarch that was the Breck 100, the early morning start at the Wilderness 101, and the brutal heat of this year's ORAMM.
Turns out, I really love spinning my pedals in pursuit of rad trails and great views. And I love doing those things with friends even more. It's been great to have some time off the bike, but I'm ready. Because this year, I want to go really, really fast. So, I'm not asking for stress, but when it comes, the trainer will do just fine thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment