Endurance races, ski trips, musings, and adventures on the East Coast.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Pow and Planning

The snow just keeps on coming, sort of, if you know where to look. But yesterday we hit it right, although unfortunately we didn't have it together enough to actually take pictures of the crazy powder face shots on the way back down. Oh well, they'll be more chances. So here we are, it's Deepcember, Christmas time, and I'm spending a lot of time thinking about seeing family and watching weather reports and radar trying to figure out when to clear the calendar for skiing.
But it's also time to start planning the season ahead, the bike season that is. The NUE 100 miler series schedule just got released, and most of the year's stage races are tentatively penciled in at this point too. So, how to put them all together? I was talking to a friend the other night, and Bank of America came up. "Oh yeah," I said, "I closed that account down." The reason for closing it? Well, when I left for Colorado last summer I had just enough money to pay for gas to get get to this Bank of America I'd looked up online outside of Buffalo, NY, where I could close out an old account and get $60 or so (there are no Bank of America's in Vermont), which was then enough to keep me on the road until my paycheck was deposited on Friday. Car breakage? Not an option. That memory brought up the idea of planning, namely that I could do a better job this year. Sleeping in the back of my car at Wal-Marts will probably still be part of the agenda, but there's definitely some room for improvement.
So, in trying to get it right I'm trying to start early. I'm on a new team for this year, which should make things a bit easier. There will be lot's of NUE racing on tap, a stage race for sure, and a 2011 edition of Bike Week somewhere out west: that's the plan anyway. Winter is awesome, but racing season will be here soon enough. Here's to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment