Endurance races, ski trips, musings, and adventures on the East Coast.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Transitions

It's been a week of transitions here in Vermont. I woke up to rain this weekend, and somehow this time it felt like more than a passing thaw; I saw my first roof rack mounted bike on the highway this weekend; and there have been a few intrepid souls out training on the roads these last few days. The snow on the road shoulders is melting, and most of the salt is almost gone too. I'm going to have to remember how to do this whole mountain bike training and racing thing again very, very soon.

Other transitions, well, my beloved old Volvo 240, which I'd nicknamed the "grey lady" (yeah, that's what they call Nantucket, I know) has died for good. It's sad. Funny that on my last ever ski trip with it last week I paused to take this shot...

...sometimes I guess we just know. So, a new car search has begun. Sounds like the worst way I can think of to spend a weekend, but I suppose it had to happen sometime. In the meantime though, at least I'll have good beer. The winter brew is a little behind schedule seeing as it's almost spring, but I have high hopes for this coffee stout (with maple syrup and oatmeal too)...

...it smelled good at least. A chaotic counter scene somehow became a huge bin of organized (ish) bottles. A wise coach once told me that dark beer is the best recovery drink around, so maybe this batch is right on time...

...and hey, what would a weekend have been without a little skiing. It may have been raining in Montpelier, but it was snowing on the summits, and we made time for a big, five hour tour that included one of the coolest descents I've done this year...

...the bottom of the line was tight, but there is a skiable line in there, I swear (just bring the short skis).

Might be time to go rummage through the basement looking for the road bike. I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment