Endurance races, ski trips, musings, and adventures on the East Coast.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Shoulder Season

I'll admit it; I haven't been terribly motivated to get out on a bike recently. The weather has been colder, my allergies and asthma have yet to subside, and works been rather busy. Plus, my body and mind are feeling pretty tired on a bike these days. Something about all those training and racing miles that I put on this summer. So, I've been looking for some distractions. I've got some carpentry projects going, and we're building a mountain bike skills course in the back yard, which is going to be pretty rad. There has been some brewing and lots of bread baking. But the distraction I was really looking forward too finally rolled in yesterday. Sure, it was nothing more than cold rain in the valleys........but up high it was another story. An early wake up got us to a rainy parking lot. But after hiking for a half hour or so we hit skiable snow. Way up high we were treated to some truly awesome skiing, with a wind loaded snowpack of 2.5 feet and more. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures up there, but really, it's true. The first deep knee bend tele turns of the year were pretty amazing. A few whoops for sure. Time to start oogaling over some big fat backcountry boards. Hmmm.......
Pretty sure the snow will be gone by tomorrow. Should be a few more good riding days to go before winter totally sets in. As one friend described it, "hiking up was like hiking into the future." Yeah. It was pretty sweet too.

No comments:

Post a Comment